Wednesday 2 November 2016

Jedburgh 3 Peaks Ultra, Saturday

Smiling because I'd reached the top of the Eildons!
I (Colin) took part in the Jedburgh 3 Peaks Ultra on Saturday consisting of 37.2 off road and sometimes very hilly miles. I saw the BBC 2 Adventure Show on it last year and as I’d finally got my sub-3 marathon monkey off my back I thought it would be interesting to see how I got on as it has a deservedly good reputation for being a well run event.

Race Profile - can you spot the 3 Eildons??
I had tried some ultra long distance stuff 8 or 9 years ago at a time when I was into adventure racing when I had lots of time pre-kids!  However this time I kept my training volume up with lots of shortish 30-90 min runs with only the odd 2hr + run. My longest run being the 2 Breweries hill race at 3h40 five weeks before. In hindsight it was the last hour/5 miles that really caught me out so there are no short cuts to long races!!
I finished in 6:00:39, 17th overall and 5th 40 + out on 193 finishers. The race was won in 5:12:06 by Mark Sutherland of Lauderdale Limpers. The results can be seen here: http://kitst.co.uk/jedburgh-ultra-2016-finish.html
In action arriving at Checkpoint 3 with ace support team (Fi is taking the photo)
I had ‘planned’ (if you can call it that) to run a 6 hr schedule and tried hard to take it slow and steady in the first half to have something left in the later stages. At the last check point with about 1hr40 to go I thought I’d paced it perfectly however not long after my legs started seriously disagreeing! I do have a tinge of disappointment not to duck under 6hrs, especially as I was passed by about 4 runners in the last two miles who all went sub 6, including one as late as the last mile so BUT I simply could go no faster at all. I’ve never found maintaining 9 minute mile pace on the flat so difficult! However I am happy with it and I had the best views I ever have had from the Eildons. The marshalls were are very cheery which I certainly needed and race organisation was spot on so definitely worth trying once! My family were great in cheering me on at various stages which made a huge difference when you tiring.
David Cheskin was also in action and completed his first ultra in the very respectable time of 8:25:22 as 13th M50. Well done.

No comments: